Nowadays a lot of us have heard and know about Yaniv railway station which was put into operation much earlier than the construction of the city of Pripyat and the Chernobyl nuclear power plant began. The farm of the same name was located nearby. An interesting fact is that the Yaniv station was much closer to the village of Semykhody, while the Semykhody station was closer to the Yaniv farm. The reason for it is still unknown.
The history of Yaniv station begins in the distant 1929, when the construction of the railway line from Chernihiv to Ovruch began. There were brigades of workers in Yaniv who carried out construction work in this area. At the end of 1946, the Yaniv manor farm was renamed Pidlesny farm and the new village got the name Yaniv. It was inhabited by 450 people at the time of the accident. In addition to the Chernihiv-Ovruch railway connection, the Khmelnytskyi-Moscow train also ran here. Before the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, the Yaniv station maintained access roads, oil depots and ORS storage facilities. But it was only until the end of April 1986, when the inhabitants of the village of Yaniv were evacuated to a safe place.
From the end of April 1986, the Yaniv station was closed for passenger transport. A different route through Kyiv was launched. At the same time, the shipment of cargoes continued through the station to eliminate the consequences at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, as well as to install the Shelter construction site.
At the end of 1988, the railway from Chernihiv to Yaniv was electrified with alternating current, but later the contact network was dismantled.
Today, a diesel locomotive runs on the Yaniv-Vilha railway, and spent nuclear fuel from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant is transported through Vilha from Yaniv. The transportation of radioactive waste from the industrial site of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant is going to take place on the Yaniv-Buryakovka railway with the target point at the Buryakovka WFD. Until now, abandoned diesel locomotives and several diesel train carriages, that were contaminated with radiation, have been left on the station tracks.
Curious tourists who go on trips to Chernobyl also visit Yaniv station to look at the remains of a place where trains ran regularly and where life was in full swing.